History



New St Andrew's Parish Church was formed in 2008 as a union of the former St Andrew's and Clifton congregations.    St Andrew's Parish Church was formed in 1993 as a union of the former Maxwell, Gartsherrie and Dunbeth congregations.

The congregation uses the church and halls of the former Gartsherrie Parish Church.  The former Maxwell and Dunbeth church buildings and halls are in Muiryhall Street and Weir Street respectively and have both been converted to flats.
 
Gartsherrie Parish Church was opened in 1839 for the benefit of the workers employed by Wm Baird & Co, Ironmasters and their families.
 
It is a red sandstone Gothic revival church with steeple and clock tower, architects Scott Stephen & Gale of Glasgow.  The church occupies a commanding site with a large graveyard just a short walk uphill from the town centre.  It has a very fine organ by Willis 1870, thoroughly renovated in 1937 with some additional stops.  Stained glass by Alfred Webster, 1912, in the entrance vestibule.

Dunbeth Church was founded in 1837 as Coatbridge Relief Church with the original building opening in 1839 in what is now Stobcross Street.   Railway developments affected the site on which the church stood and this necessitated the building of a new church in Weir Street.   This building was opened in 1872 and was then known as Dunbeth Parish Church

Maxwell Parish Church was formerly known as East United Free Church.   Its inception as a congregation took place in 1868, with the building in Weir Street opening in 1873.   The church was re-named after the Rev Adam Maxwell who had a ministry of 45 years ending in 1926.
 
Clifton Parish Church was formed in 1993 as a union of the former Coatdyke and Coats congregations.  Coatdyke Church had also been formed as the result of a union in 1973 of the former Cliftonhill and Trinity congregations.
 
The former Coatdyke (Cliftonhill) buildings in East Stewart Street are now used for residential and retail purposes.  Cliftonhill Church was formed in 1887 having been originally a mission under the auspices of the Kirk Session of Dunbeth Parish Church. (In 1887 the church was originally known as Coatdyke Church and changed to Cliftonhill Church in 1929.)
 
Trinity Parish Church was consecrated in 1905 and the former Trinity buildings in Muiryhall Street are now used by the Roman Catholic church and are known as Holy Trinity and All Saints Church.
 
Coats Church in Jackson Street was opened for worship in 1875 having been part of the parish of Gartsherrie Church.  The former Coats (Clifton) building is now used as a funeral home.

See Former Churches Pictures TAB  for photographs of the former church buildings.

The photos below are from the former Dunbeth Church taken around 1984.
​​
COATBRIDGE CENTENARY 1895 - 1985

The Burgh of Coatbridge was created on the 25th June 1885, when the Burgh Act received the Royal Assent.  The town itself had been formed in the early years of that century.  Coal mining and iron making, the industries that created the wealth of Coatbridge, would feed the Industrial Revolution with its raw materials.  Many thousands of dispossessed families from the highlands of Scotland and the rural lands of Ireland flocked to work in the new foundries and mines.  The small hamlets that had clustered round the Calder and Luggie burns would become the heartland of industrial Coatbridge.  

The townspeople soon developed a sense of civic pride and duty that led them to create an unofficial Coatbridge council as early as 1845, with a Provost, Baillies and Councillors, although Coatbridge did not achieve the status of a Burgh until 1885.

The first elections to the Coatbridge Burgh Council were held on 3rd November 1885.  Three days later, 6th November 1885, the newly elected councillors, the Sheriff and a solicitor met in the Parochial Board Room, Tennant's Place for the first council meeting.  On this day the Council elected Major John Alexander the first Provost of Coatbridge.  

The first "kirking" of the Council was held in November, 1893 at Gartsherrie Parish Church.

The Burgh Council served the citizens of Coatbridge until 15th May 1975, when the town became part of Monklands District.